Thursday, December 18, 2008

The final round of the King's Island Open (and my take on the whole experience)

The final round of the King's Island Open was anti-climactic. I had the white pieces. I opened with the KIA. I wasted two moves by blowing the move order. We agreed to a draw after 24 moves. I agreed because I was exhausted and really was not up to a struggle. It was my opponents fourth draw of the weekend. It was my second.

I learned a lot this weekend. I learned that a weekend of tournament chess is extremely enjoyable. I learned that you make new friends at a tournament like this. I also learned to take my time in the opening. I knew that timing would be a serious issue, and I knew that this is where I would struggle prior to coming to this tourney.

A few notes. Martin Luther King weekend I head to Philly for the Liberty Bell Open. I cannot wait. I will take notes by hand at this tournament and blog about it when I return home. Also - I run a mini grand-prix blitz tournament at the Pittsburgh Chess Club, which begins this weekend, on January 10th at 4pm, meets once a month and culminates in December. It only costs $2 to enter and pays out weekly and the Leader at the end of the year will win a clock, and other prizes will be given out along the way. I am very excited about this.

I look continuing this blog in the near future, and I do apologize for my lack of entries as of late, but I was in New York (yes, I visited the Marshall Chess Club) and the holidays kept me busy. Thank you for your patience. See you soon.

No comments: