Tuesday, November 18, 2008

King's Island Open (part 2)

With game 1 under my belt I made my way around the resort. GM Arthur Bisguier was going over some games, but I didn't want to show him mine, because I heard he doesn't like to look at wins. But I did want to watch his analysis. I got antsy and I got hungry and I wanted a beer. I should have gone to my room, watched Sportscenter and gone to sleep. Instead I went to Coasters and had a beer. Then I got some snacks from the store off to the side of the check-in counter. (I also bought toothpaste, Pop Tarts, and a Full Throttle for the morning - I wish they had Redbull instead.)

Then I headed off to the arcade for some more pinball, put up 4/4 high scores on the machine and made my way to my room. It was absolutely freezing. I don't know what they were thinking, but apparently my A/C had been turned on. Mind you, it's the middle of November in Cincinnati. It is not warm out. Anyway, I put the heat on and pulled out my Endgame book. Its part of my routine, to read some chess books before sleep. I don't know how much it helps my chess, but it usually helps me sleep. Not this night though.

I was up until after 1 am and tossing and turning throughout the night after that. I guess I was more excited than I thought. Anyway - I finally couldn't take it any more - I got up at 7:30 and made my way to the exercise room. I got on the bike and rode for a half hour. Followed by some more pinball and then a shower. Then I made my way to the lobby where I saw David. It was about 9 am. He told me he lost his game the night before, I saw what had happened - a knight fork of his King, Queen and Rook. Brutal. He was reentering the tourney (which was an option). Which meant two game / 75s and then a return to the normal time control of 40 moves / 120 minutes and Sudden Death in 60 minutes. He had a long day ahead of him, but I thought he could handle it.

After breakfast I got ready for round 2. Found my pairing. Made my way to my board. My opponent, a man named Bruce, was there waiting for me. The board was set. I had black. Before we started Bruce said something to the effect of - 'I should be playing in the U1300, but they made me play in the U1500. I wish I wasn't playing adults who knew what they were doing.' My radar was up. This was going to be tough.

We played an interesting game. I sacked a pawn early. I thought it would get me a piece, but it didn't - it only got me in trouble. In fact, after the game I showed the opening to Federico, and he liked the sack, but felt I got too greedy with it. Since I was trying to win a piece, I missed the chance to take both his bishops off the board for a rook and a pawn. He was right, and I was too greedy for my own good. Then I sacked again, this time a piece for a pawn, but he ignored it and threatened my queen with a very nice in-between move that I had missed. In the end, all told, I had sacrificed the exchange, and now I was playing for a draw. I couldn't do it. I had lost my second game, and now I could no longer reasonably think I could win this tournament.

It was actually a relief! I could sleep now. I could relax. I could enjoy the chess being played and I could cheer for my friends.

No comments: